I know it's been a while since my last update, but after spending the last week talking to doctors, nurses and my insurance company my family and I have decided that we are going to have the surgery done at Indiana Medical Center in Indianapolis on July 25th. Jenn and I will be flying up there on July 23rd and visiting with Dr. Foster on July 24th. I will most likely be in the hospital 2-3 days and if everything goes well I will fly home on the 30th of July. The recovery process can take anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks, so I will be staying home for that time. Once the procedure is complete the doctors in Indiana will preform a biopsy on the infected lymph nodes and determine if there is any cancer. If there is evidence of cancer in the lymph nodes I will most likely have 2-3 rounds of chemotherapy back in Orlando. If the lymph nodes are free from cancer, then I will just go under servillence and I should be in clear and cancer free.
I want to thank everyone for your support and prayers towards myself and my family, I could not have got through this time without it.
If I am able to, I will post updates while I am in Indiana. Once the procedure is complete and all ok, I will have my brother James send out an e-mail to you all.
Thanks again.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Monday, July 7, 2008
What's Next
Well it's almost been two weeks since my surgery and the only bad news is....my doctor cleared me to return to work tomorrow :-( But the good news is, he was happy with how the incision looked and said everything turned out well. So on to the next step. In my previous update I talked about possibly having this RPLND surgery to remove some inflamed lymph nodes in my abdomen region. After a lot of research I believe I have decided that the surgery is the best option, however, now the question is, where do I have the surgery. My urologist here suggested that this type of surgery is not very difficult for such an evasive type of surgery and he recommended a local oncologist urologist who has done many of these operations before. I was able to talk to him as well and got his insight on this surgery and his experience with this type of surgery. The only piece of information that I am waiting on now is a recommendation from Dr. Einhorn on what he thinks is my best option. Do I have the surgery here in Florida? Or, do I travel to New York or Indiana to have the surgery? So, it's a hurry up and wait scenario now, hopefully by weeks end I will have a decision made on where and when I will be having this surgery. Once I have had the surgery it will take anywhere from 3 to 5 days to recover in the hospital, then about 2-3 weeks recovery at home before I can return to work. Total time from surgery date to 100% recovery is anywhere from 3 to 6 months, all depending on me and how my body recovers. Once I have made my final decision I will update this blog, until then, Jenn and I thank everyone for your support and prayers.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Latest Update
At this point a final decision has not been made on which option I will be going with, however, after a few days of research about my condition and this RPLND procedure, it is looking very likely that I will be choosing to do the surgery. Unfortunately, there are no experts here in the state of Florida for this procedure. I am sure that are urologists that can perform the surgery, but for something like this, I think I want the best. From what I have found out there are four hospitals in the country that perform this procedure regularly and have the experts. Two of them are in the state or Oregon, one is in Indiana and the fourth is in New York City. The doctors in Indiana are the same ones that preformed Lance Armstrong's surgery, and the hospital in New York is Slone Kettering, where my brother went. After making some phone calls yesterday, I have a tentative appointment to meet with the doctor in New York next Thursday morning. I have also contacted the doctor at IU Medical Hospital to try to meet with him. Since it's now the holiday weekend, I will not find out anything new until Monday, hopefully by then, I will have decided on which hospital I will be attending. This surgery is certainly no walk in the park, hence the reason I am searching for the countries best doctor. Once I have decided which hospital I will be attending I will update this blog, until then I again thank you all for your support and prayers.
Thanks again!
Thanks again!
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Visit with Oncologist
Today I meet with the oncologist, Dr. William Grow at Florida Hospital. He explained the types of treatments that are available for me and gave his recommendation. The three options are, 1) Observation, for the 1st year I would visit the doctors office every 1-2 months to have blood work and a chest x-ray to check the enlarged lymph nodes, I would also have a CT scan every 2-3 months for the 1st year. As the years progress, as long as there is no change, I would continue to visit the doctor once every 2 months in the 2nd year, 3 months in the 3rd year and so on. 2) Surgery, a procedure called retroperitoneal lymph node dissection, where the urologist would remove the enlarged lymph nodes from my body. This is a more evasive surgery than the first one and the recovery time is longer, however, the possible infected lymph nodes would be removed and from testing the lymph nodes they would know for sure if there was cancer in the lymph nodes. 3) Chemotherapy, I would have 3 treatments of chemotherapy to try to kill the possible cancer in the lymph nodes, however, if the lymph nodes do contain a cancer tumor and that tumor is teratoma the chemotherapy would not kill the tumor and surgery would have to be done anyways. The recommendation from the oncologist was to have the surgery. This option is the only sure way to find out if the lymph nodes are affected by the cancer and if it is, most likely the surgery will remove it and I should be in the clear after that. The other two options may work if the lymph nodes do not increase in size or the chemotherapy can kill the cancer if it is cancer. So, what am I going to do. First off, I am going to meet with another oncologist at MD Anderson hospital to get a second opinion, if that doctor suggest the same thing, then most likely I will have the surgery. So after I have met with the second doctor I will post what my decision is and what is going to happen next. I have posted a website below that explains the possible surgery I may have.
Thanks again for all your support.
http://www.acor.org/TCRC/rplnd.html
Thanks again for all your support.
http://www.acor.org/TCRC/rplnd.html
Friday, June 27, 2008
Type of Cancer
I received a phone call today from my Urologist that preformed the surgery last week. He told me that my cancer is a mixed germ cell cancer and the cancer that I have is two different types. The first type is called seminoma and the second is called embryonal cell carcinoma. I will meet with an oncologist next week to determine what treatment is required to get rid of the cancer. The results of the CAT scan that I had showed evidence of some lymph nodes around my left terri aortic artery near my kidneys, they are not certain that these lymph nodes have been affected by the cancer. As of now, I am feeling fine and no major side effects from the surgery, I have been up and around and not feeling too much pain...good drugs!!! Thanks again for all your support.
Link for info on embryonal cell carcinoma: http://www.medcyclopaedia.com/library/topics/volume_iv_2/e/embryonal_cell_carcinoma_testicular.aspx
Link for info on embryonal cell carcinoma: http://www.medcyclopaedia.com/library/topics/volume_iv_2/e/embryonal_cell_carcinoma_testicular.aspx
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Health Situation
As some of you know over the past few weeks I have been visiting different doctors and it has been determined that I have Testicular Cancer. On June 24th, I underwent minor surgery and had my left testicle removed in order to do a biospy on it to determine the extent of the cancer. As of today, June 25th, the cancer type is Seminoma, a type of testicular cancer that is very receptive to raditation and has about a 95% cure rate. I decided to create this blog to keep everyone informed of my current condition and allow you to ask me any questions and a way pass along your support for myself and my family. Once I have more information I will post it here for everyone to read. Again, I thank everyone in advance for your support and prayers, without them, this period would be very difficult for me.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)